September 21, 2014
After making a bunch of jewelry for others, I decided I needed something new for myself. The result is this festoon necklace of black glass cabochons, which was inspired by a c1820 purple Vauxhall glass necklace on pg 42 of Georgian Jewelry 1714-1830 by Ginny Redington Dawes and Olivia Collings. Plus I also made matching earrings.
My plan is to wear these to the Pumpkin Tea in November.
September 14, 2014
Hey, look what I’m getting back to: this spencer, which I originally started mocking up in, wait for it … fall of 2009! Here is my first blog post on that mock up, which I left with no sleeves and no collar. The inspiration garment is a wool spencer in the book Moden 1790-1840 (photos are here).
I found the mock up in my scrap bin last December, and for some reason it spoke to me enough such that I decided to finish patterning the collar and sleeves. You can tell which parts of the mockup are from 2013 versus 2009 because this time around I only had off-white muslin.
Here I was patterning the upper collar. It is in two pieces cut on the bias, with a seam down the center back. (There is not a seam in the lower right corner; that is just my piecing of extra muslin because I ran out of room to draw the pattern.)
Then I put the project down, again, because I got pulled into making other things. But now fall and winter are coming again, so it is time to get back to this. Especially since I’ve already done the hard part of making a pattern. This weekend I cut the pieces out. I’m using the same wool that I used for a short cloak earlier this year.
September 8, 2014
Here is a write-up of how I made my Stephanie Brown Robin belt. You may have figured out some of this from my past posts, but here is all the detail.
I made the buckle and the dots on the belt using Sculpey clay. Sculpey III for the dots, and Sculpey Premo for the buckle. Premo is better for thinner shapes that might otherwise crack, since III is a little brittle.
I baked the dots on a toaster oven tray in my conventional oven. I find it’s good to cover the tray with foil to avoid the cooking clay smell and fumes. I cooked them for a little longer than recommended, just to make sure the clay was hardened.
For the middle part, I followed the same method I used for the dots, but I used a larger mold (1 7/8 inches). This was the PJ003 mold from Best Flexible Molds.
For the base disk, I used a 2 1/2 inch flat circle mold from Mold Muse.
After the pieces were baked and cooled, I sanded them down. I used three grits of wet/dry sandpaper (400, 600, and 800) in progressive order to get a smoother finish. I wore a particle respirator mask and did the sanding in a bucket of water to avoid breathing in any polymer clay dust.
Then I sewed a 1 1/2 x 26 1/2 inch tube of cotton sateen (plus seam allowances), encasing another layer of polar fleece (to give the belt some body). I made piping (using cotton 4.8mm cording that is often used for upholstery) and sewed it into the long edges of the tube (which I sewed wrong sides together first, and then turned). Turning the tube is hard to do with the piping, but a chopstick can help. After turning, I hand sewed the tube closed.
I put a closure on the belt (a large snap) by sewing one part to the fabric end and gluing the other part to the belt. I used E6000 glue (always use proper ventilation–I open a window and wear a respirator when using E6000).
September 7, 2014
Leave a Comment
This was my first wearing of Stephanie Brown Robin. Overall, thumbs up. The dress and leggings were pretty comfortable, while the wig with the mask didn’t bother me too much. Mike wore another variation on Hawkeye, this time with a new broadhead arrow that he crafted from Worbla and a wooden dowel. Mike has been trying to make a convention-safe broadhead for quite a while, so it was great that he finally made one!
September 7, 2014
Mike and I went to this year’s installment of Baltimore Comic-Con today. Wow, this con just keeps on growing! This year they took over more of the convention center, including moving the exhibit hall to a larger space. It took us a couple hours to walk through the hall, and we didn’t even get to see a couple rows. The costume contest was super popular (which unfortunately meant they moved the waiting area to a place less conducive to photos and very backlit, so I have less than last year). That being said, the crowds were manageable. We arrived a couple hours after opening, and did not have to wait in line to grab our wristbands from Will Call. Parking in the area was a bit high for Baltimore ($15), but since we ordered ahead we were able to get a spot in a very close-by garage even with a Ravens game going on (although the garage was turning away people who had not reserved online).
As for swag and shopping, we got a comic signed by Alex Maleev and another by Adam Hughes, two of our favorite artists. Mike bought a 2013 convention shirt that had Stan Sakai’s Usagi Yojimbo on it. I saw that they were selling shirts from last year, which we had also attended, but did not buy any show merch at. Mike really likes Usagi, and the only size they had left was also Mike’s size. That sounds like fate, right? So he bought it. Meanwhile, I bought a few prints in Artists’ Alley by Bill Walko.
Here are our photos of other cosplayers.
September 5, 2014
New products are up in the store! https://www.etsy.com/shop/inthelongrun
September 1, 2014
My Stephanie Brown Robin cosplay is almost finished, which is great, since I need it this coming Sunday.
Re-winding a bit, last time I posted, I left off with a dress that had no sleeves. I started on the sleeves by constructing the little arm pads that Robin usually has. These are probably one of the stupider parts of Robin’s costume. They protect such a little area of the arm, but are a pain to sew. Grr…
August 29, 2014
Leave a Comment
The Labor Day sale is on! Check out the store for deals on select jewelry!