I finished sewing down the trim on the 1828 Yellow Dress. I also sewed buttons on the cuffs. It’s done!!!!
I had an awesome time hanging out with some local sewing friends yesterday. We plotted out Costume Con plans and each of us made a lot of progress on our sewing. I am getting tantalisingly close to finishing my yellow 1820s dress. The skirt is on and hemmed, most of the raw edges are finished, and I’m thinking over trim options.
After so many mockups, I actually have progress on the final 1820s yellow dress! I have assembled the bodice and put in one sleeve. Working on the second now. Of course, my students have a final tomorrow, so I’m going to be grading 200 tests for a couple days…
Piping for the back bodice seams:
Flat-lining the fashion fabric to the musling lining:
Attaching the piping:
Sewing the back seams of the bodice:
Putting a lining of muslin and silk organza in the sleeve head:
On Sunday, I finished the last mockup (of four) for my yellow 1820s dress. I started cutting out the fabric yesterday. I see alot of piping and gathering in my future!
It’s getting closer. This was the first time I tried the sleeve. Still some more adjustments, but nothing too crazy.
I’ve been planning this project for over a year, but I’m finally getting to the muslin. I finished up the petticoats (except for closures) yesterday, and I did a quick test of the pattern. There are a few things I want to change, but nothing major.
Now, on to the sleeves!
Besides knitting away at Taylor’s mitts, I have also been contemplating my planned romantic-era outfit. I finished the stays several months ago, as some of you may remember, but I haven’t done much sewing since then.
However, lately I have felt renewed interest in this project. First, as you can see from the picture, I found a pretty cheap reprint of the Workwoman’s Guide online. Looking through the illustrations and text got me thinking about the romantic era again. Although this book was published in 1838, it describes garments that seem more like late 1820s/early 1830s to me. This is probably because it was meant to be a practical primer (it has sections on ways to organize and run a household, for example) than a guide to cutting-edge fashion. Plus, it has a whole section on knitting! The instructions are expectedly vague, but really fascinating nonetheless.
I totally want one of these caps! They look so silly and ruffle-y.
So then I got out my fabric. It’s a loud, stripey, flowery cotton print. I was thinking it might be too busy, but after looking at some of the fabrics on 1830s garments in the Kyoto Fashion book, maybe not.
In turn, I started digging out photos of extant garments for inspiration. All of the pics below are from the late 1820s. I like the gathered bodices and the somewhat large but not gigantic sleeves. I want sleeves that are only slightly ridiculous, not “I’m smuggling pumpkins in the arms of my dress” ridiculous. Although I sort of like the look of the latter too. Call me crazy! 🙂
1828 from the V and A:
1825-1828 from Costume in Detail:
But of course, I need to finish the rest of my undergarments too. I need several petticoats. Maybe after I finish Taylor’s mitts I can get back into gear!