Returning to event recaps, when last I left off, I had just posted about Stephanie‘s Pumpkin Tea Soiree. The day after the soiree, Stephanie hosted her annual Pumpkin Tea. Just as in past years, it was a wonderful time. It’s always a treat to spend an afternoon with so many friends from near and far.
On to the photos!
Jess, Glynnis, and Judy
Stephanie always does such a wonderful job with her table settings.
Maggie and I wore matching American Duchess Manchester boots.
Seated for tea
Jess and Kristin
Glynnis and Kat
Ashley and our hostess Stephanie
Judy and Carolyn
Maggie and Janine
Jessica, Linda, and Rebecca
Me and Jessica
Group Regency Wedgie Shot
We are in the midst of a costumer baby boom! Featuring Jess, Rebecca, Maggie, and Kristin.
Check out the beautiful draping she did on the back of her open robe!
Stephanie and Kat
My cap is by Virgil’s Fine Goods.
All of my photos are here.
I finished my spencer last week. I had to search at three fabric stores for matching buttonhole twist (and I still only found something close, not quite matching), which held me up for a week or so. But now this is ready for the Pumpkin Tea.
Hey, look what I’m getting back to: this spencer, which I originally started mocking up in, wait for it … fall of 2009! Here is my first blog post on that mock up, which I left with no sleeves and no collar. The inspiration garment is a wool spencer in the book Moden 1790-1840 (photos are here).
I found the mock up in my scrap bin last December, and for some reason it spoke to me enough such that I decided to finish patterning the collar and sleeves. You can tell which parts of the mockup are from 2013 versus 2009 because this time around I only had off-white muslin.
Here is the front of the mock up.
Here I was patterning the upper collar. It is in two pieces cut on the bias, with a seam down the center back. (There is not a seam in the lower right corner; that is just my piecing of extra muslin because I ran out of room to draw the pattern.)
Then I put the project down, again, because I got pulled into making other things. But now fall and winter are coming again, so it is time to get back to this. Especially since I’ve already done the hard part of making a pattern. This weekend I cut the pieces out. I’m using the same wool that I used for a short cloak earlier this year.
Starting to sew now!
After I got the pattern for my spencer worked out, I immediately started on another one and a pelisse.
First, I have plans for a red flannel spencer based on the following piece from the Danish Moden 1790-1840 book:
Here is the mockup. I need to work on the collar next, but I already have a good sleeve pattern.
Second, a long wool pelisse, similar (but not identical to) the one from the Kyoto Fashion book:
Here’s what I have so far. I want to have a folded-over collar instead of a standing one. Also, I may arrange the braid differently than on the Kyoto example and have hidden closures instead of front buttons.