I’m going to wear this to the Gore Place Tea. I’m not going to have a repeat of my freezing to death incident I had when we went to see The Duchess.
I’m catching up with posting all the sewing pics I have on my camera from the last month.
First, some pictures from making the collar and the sleeves of my black spencer:
Second, my mockup for my first 18th C Dress, which will be a cotton anglaise:
I tried on my black spencer and pinned in the darts. Now I just have the belt left and some interior finishing.
This was meant as a quick hand sewing project, and I was able to get most of the construction (less sleeves) done in a day. I plopped myself in front of the Pats game (which thankfully went way better than their last game) and got to sewing.
I adapted the construction technique I used on my red open robe for this project. First I attached a facing to the center front opening in the lining.
Then I attached the lining to the fashion fabric front pieces along the edges. I just turned under the raw edges and whip stitched things down.
Next I sewed the shoulder seams, without lining the back piece yet.
Then I put in the lining for the back, again by turning under the edges of both the lining and the fashion fabric, and then whip stitching.
Next came the side back seams.
And then the side seam, which I am just holding together in this picture.
Finally I pinned in the lining for the side back pieces and whip stitched those in.
I have wanted to make a spencer for years now, and I finally got started on one last weekend. I have a couple yards of black cotton velvet in my stash that I’m going to use for this. I pulled out a pattern I already have, the Period Impressions one.
The mockup is decent, but I haven’t had the chance to get my stays on to fully try it out. The sleeve was a disaster at first, but I realized that I had to rotate it a bit to get it to lie right. And I had to shorten it 5 inches. I have no idea why it was drafted so long.