I recently finished editing photos from our first con of 2019, MAGFest. (I will post more on those soon, but I am behind on event recaps, so I need to catch up first.) The weather this year at MAGFest was a little warmer than normal (the con takes place the first week of January, typically), which meant we could do some photos outdoors around National Harbor. But it was pretty windy at times, which made for some interesting logistical challenges in getting the best shots. I was able to come up with a couple solutions after the fact through editing, and I thought I would share the results.
To counteract this, I tried turning my body into the wind relative to where Mike was shooting, but then, as you can see from this photo, that brought the Capital Ferris Wheel into the frame, which was not the look we were going for.
Obviously there are a number of issues with the raw photo. Besides being underexposed, the biggest problem is that we had not framed things with enough room to my left, because we had been struggling with the strong wind blowing in our faces at the time. I also had been fussing with my hair in the breeze, which meant that this shot caught me mid-head turn, instead of looking into the distance. But this photo has the best billowing effects on my dress, so I still thought it was the one worth building from.
Here is the photo after some basic Lightroom adjustments, mainly exposure and cropping. We still have the composition issue with the left hand side of the image and my inappropriate head positioning, which I dealt with in the next step.
First, to fix the composition, I increased the size of the canvas on the left and top. Then I used a combination of the content-aware fill tool and the clone tool to extend the sky, clouds, bridge, water, and rocks to fill the larger canvas. Now the photo actually has some distance for me to look off in to.
Second, to deal with my turned head, I went back to look at the other images we shot to find one that had a better head position. I ended up choosing this one. The billowing of the dress here is less what I wanted, but my head position is perfect. I copied just the head part of this image and placed it in the photo I was working on, blending the layers together using the masking tools.
After I was done with my Photoshop work, I brought the image back into Lightroom to do some additional exposure, contrast, and color adjustments. I ended up producing two versions of the final photo. One that is more natural, and another that has a more vintage photo feel.