Here are some notes on the Rainbow Dash costume I wore at MAGFest. I made the decision to throw this together rather late in the game, so a lot of the components were bought from Amazon (yay, prime shipping!)
–Leg Avenue Rainbow Dash Costume (I had this already on hand, because I bought it to use in a Halloween horse show last fall. For a picture of how that outfit turned out, see here.)
–Light blue hooded sweatshirt (pullover, not zippered, I used the “sky blue” color)
–Blue gym shorts with white contrast trim (I used the “brilliant blue” color)
–Rainbow thigh high socks
The first thing I did was more firmly attach the ears to the headband that came with the packaged Rainbow Dash outfit. Hot glue all the way! I used the wings as-is straight from the package.
Next, I removed the cutie mark patch from the costume dress. It was sewn on there in only a few places, so some quick but careful seam ripping was all that was required. Once the patch was detached, I sewed it to the front of the hoodie, using white thread in a hand back stitch. I recommend a back stitch because it has a little give due to its overlapping looping structure. That elasticity helps keep the stitches from pulling out when the knit fabric of the sweatshirt stretches.
Then it was on to the wig and tail. The Leg Avenue costume includes a rainbow wig and a tail (the latter of which is actually just a small ponytail attachment, like you see on anime wigs, but without a jaw clip). They’re decent quality, but quite frizzy and curly. You could leave them as is, but I wanted a straighter look.
Enter several pots of hot water (four pots, to be exact). I followed these instructions on Alexa’s Style Blog. The only thing I did differently was I used the stand for one of my dress forms instead of a camera tripod to hold the wig. Once the wig and tail were fully soaked, I left them to dry in the shower.
At that point I was pretty much done. I removed the drawstring from the shorts, because they stayed up fine without it, and doing that eliminated some bunching at the waist. I sewed up the drawstring channel holes, although that wasn’t necessary.
The rainbow socks had a small hole in them when they arrived, but I did not have time exchange them, meaning I had to darn that myself. I wore them over thick dance tights, and they stayed up just fine.
Overall, this was a fun and easy costume to both make and wear. Although the Leg Avenue outfit looks cheesy, I found that it worked well in terms of providing base materials (wings, ears, wig, tail, and cutie mark patch) to work from. Considering the money and effort required to put together a wig, tail, and wings from other sources, it’s not a bad place to start from. I may make or buy fancier wings and a wig later, but this was great given the time I had to make this costume.